Liquid helium in industry occupies a special place. It is capable of creating a magnetic field without thermal effects, providing an ultra-low temperature, and at the same time it is lightweight. All these advantages make it possible to use it for a wide variety of industrial and domestic purposes, including for medicine – in magnetic resonance therapy (MRI) devices. In our company, you can buy liquid helium in special isothermal tanks or Dewar vessels.
What is liquid helium
Under normal conditions, the boiling point of liquid helium is 268.9 ° C. At the same time, it is safe, not combustible, has no color and smell. But still, working with this substance requires some caution – exceeding the permissible concentration in the air can lead to a state of suffocation. If it enters the skin and mucous membranes, gas can also cause frostbite.
During the transition of liquid helium to a gaseous state, it allows you to get a record low temperature. This advantage allows you to use it as an absolutely safe refrigerant. It is indispensable both in MRI and for other purposes:
- electronic industry, where liquid helium is part of the filling of liquid crystal panels, fiber optic cables and semiconductors;
- nuclear industry. In a powerful nuclear reactor, it becomes a carrier of thermal energy;
- flaw detection. Liquid helium is used in tunneling microscopes, which help determine the exact surface topography with conductive properties;
- chemical laboratories. The ability to provide a very low temperature expands the capabilities of experiments and research;
- lighting systems, street advertising – used to fill gas discharge tubes;
- balloons – helium serves as their filler due to its lightness and safety (compared with flammable hydrogen);
- scuba diving technique – the substance plays the role of a component of the breathing mixture;
- various devices and mechanisms where helium is used as a refrigerant.
Benefits of using MRI devices
The use of liquid helium in MRI devices provides several important advantages:
- Modern devices working with its use are allowed to be refilled no more often than every 4 years. Some devices that exclude the possibility of evaporation of liquid helium provide continuous operation without refueling for at least 10 years;
- due to the fact that liquid helium does not burn, its use for MRI is completely safe. The risk of sudden ignition or explosion is reduced to zero;
- liquid helium is very light, so its transportation and use do not cause any problems.
Stable operation of MRI scanners requires timely refueling of cooling systems. Given the growing demand for liquid helium in Russia, its shortage is especially noticeable in case of unforeseen situations. We offer reliable cooperation, thanks to which you will be sure of prompt deliveries and guaranteed volumes.
Where to buy large quantities of liquid helium
For transportation and use special containers made of aluminum or stainless steel, called Dewar vessels. Due to the double wall structure and the vacuum layer, such containers ensure the integrity of the contents during the unloading and transportation, the absence of vapors and excellent tightness.
Helium24 is a manufacturer, so we can afford the lowest prices. No intermediary margins and hidden surcharges. All products are accompanied by certificates . You can be sure of the quality and chemical purity of the product – we control every stage of production. Regardless of the volume, we will complete the order as soon as possible.